Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I tell if my starter is going bad?

I have a 2000 Ford Focus that I am having trouble with starting. There is a 30 amp fuse that blows periodically, been having trouble with that for almost a year. Sometimes when it starts, there is a grinding noise, other times it %26quot;cranks%26quot; for a little while before starting, and then other times it starts perfectly fine without any trouble at all. I have taken it to a few mechanics and none of them can figure out what is blowing that fuse, not even a Ford dealer. Is this all a sign the starter is going bad, or could something else be causing the starting issues?How can I tell if my starter is going bad?yes grinding not good,grinding could lead to more serious defects like,flywheel damage.then transmission has to be dropped.fuses blows because not enough amperage,battery not enough cranking amps per manufacterers recomendatoin.battery cables hide corrosion ,inside plastic coating,thus robbing power to starter.bad ground cable or dirty connection on battery lead or starter connection will blow fuses.definateley time for new starter and change batt cables there just 10$for both.How can I tell if my starter is going bad?The starter is failing. Your best deal would be to take it to a local shop, maybe someone who is a self-owner, because they seem to care more about locals.How can I tell if my starter is going bad?I got the same problem with you last month.

After I change a new starter for my car, all of the problems are gone.

So, just change it. It's not an expensive work.How can I tell if my starter is going bad?It's easy in this situation to blame the starter, and most likely it is the culprit. Instead of purchasing a new starter right away and taking the time to install it have the old one tested.



I believe the starter is fairly easy to remove on the Focus. A few bolts, 2 wires and most likely a sending wire from the ignition switch. After removed almost any auto parts store will test it for you and if it's bad you can avoid the core charge by already having the part with you.



The intermittent service and the duration of your symptoms leads me to believe you may just have a bad ground. If the starter tests good this is where I would put my energy, if it tests bad...you know what to do.



The world of automotive electrical is a tricky one, the problem could lead all the way back to the ignition switch, relay, or solenoid. It's a road you probably don't want to go down if you have little experience with automotive repair. Test the parts before you replace them and don't allow a mechanic to just start replacing parts in an effort to diagnose the problem.



One other item to keep in mind that could help you diagnose the problem for free is the pulling of system codes. Most vehicles will register an error code without throwing up any lights in the cabin (weird I know), take it to an auto parts store and ask them to %26quot;pull the codes%26quot; for you..it's free. If you're lucky there will be none....but why waste money when you don't have to?
  • codes for myspace
  • creating file
  •